Here are some things you can do in the DAY to improve sleep quality at NIGHT:
- Spend more time outside and be more active during the day.
- Reduce stress through exercise, therapy, tai chi, or other means.
- Go to bed around the same time each night.
- Avoid sleeping in when you have had enough sleep.
Foods that help you sleep:
- Hummus is rich in tryptophan, folate & vitamin B6. The tryptophan produces melatonin & serotonin & the folate and B6 help regulate sleep patterns.
- Walnuts, almonds & pistachios all provide a natural food source of melatonin.
- Oatmeal is another food that provides a natural source of melatonin
- Figs pack in potassium, magnesium, calcium & iron, which helps you fall asleep.
- Sweet potatoes contain potassium, magnesium & calcium which helps you relax and lower your blood pressure before bedtime.
- Have tough conversations before dinner
- Don’t watch a scary movie before bed
- Skip salty snacks in the evening